College Admissions Exams – ACT / SAT / PSAT / CLT
HLA’s High School CEEB Code: 431-423
HLA should be listed as your school anytime the student is registering to take the ACT, SAT, CLT or PSAT. CEEB Code 431-423. HLA is located in Jackson, TN.
HLA will not include test scores on official transcripts unless official test scores have been received and are on file.
Click here to register to take the ACT.
Click here to register to take the SAT.
Click here to register to take the CLT.
Most colleges require a minimum ACT score of 21 or its SAT equivalent but there are some that accept as low as 18.
Special accommodations are available for students who qualify – See below.
Eligible families can qualify for ACT or SAT waivers to cover the costs of these exams. Contact Toni.
Recommended Timeline for Taking ACT/SAT/PSAT/NMSQT
List Home Life Academy (CEEB code 431-423) when registering to take any of these exams.
- 9th/10th Grades
- Take the PSAT/NMSQT (optional) as a practice test.
- 10th Grade
- Take ACT/SAT in April or June (no prep necessary) for baseline testing.
- Use this information to see what areas need work.
- Do ACT/SAT prep as needed.
- 11th Grade
- Take ACT/SAT as soon as possible.
- Take PSAT/NMSQT – qualifying test for National Merit Scholarship in October (1-2% will qualify). (see below)
- 12th Grade
- College applications due beginning in October.
- If you have not taken the ACT/SAT take it as soon as possible
Students can take these tests several times. Students are allowed to take the ACT up to 12 times. Take them to hone your test-taking skills as well as to improve your scores.
PSAT/NMSQT – National Merit Scholarship Qualifying Test
- This is the qualifying test for the National Merit Scholarship for JUNIORS. Only 1-2% will qualify.
- HLA is no longer administering the PSAT. Students can take the test at their local school. See below for additional information.
- IMPORTANT: Remember to list HLA as your school. (school code 431-423). Be sure your student takes HLA’s school code with them. They will be asked what school you are testing at AND what school you attend. Use HLA’s school code for the school you attend.
- In a bill signed in 2016 by Gov. Haslam, your local TN public school must allow your homeschooler to take the PSAT with their students. Here is the Bill information:
Tennessee HB 2190 Introduced by Judd Matheny and Mike Bell
Schools, Home – As introduced, requires schools to provide notice on their websites of the date of the school’s administration of the AP and PSAT/NMSQT examinations, the availability of such examinations, any financial assistance for low-income students, and schools where a homeschool student may take the AP and PSAT/NMSQT examinations. – Amends TCA Title 49, Chapter 6, Part 30. Signed by Governor Haslam on 4/7/2016.
- Since this bill covers homeschoolers taking the PSAT, HLA no longer offers it, nor are we able to request accommodations, etc. for students taking it. For students wanting to pursue this option, please contact your local public school, asking to speak with the Guidance Counselor, in spring or summer preceding 11th grade in order to sign up. Tests are ordered in the summer, so the earlier you contact the public school, the better, to assure enough testing supplies.
ACT/SAT – Special Accommodations
ACT/SAT accommodations are available for students who qualify. HLA will help you with the documentation and with scheduling a testing time at your local community college. ACT Accommodations requested during ACT late registration will be charged an HLA RUSH fee for this request.
Applying for accommodations:
- Send the following information to Karen:
- For Students that have been granted ACT – Special Testing Accommodations: After your student has been approved for ACT Accommodations, upon registering for subsequent tests, please email Karen so she can submit the updated test date.
- Karen will contact you concerning scheduling and any additional information needed.
Classic Learning Test (CLT):
CLT, a college entrance exam that it is accepted by colleges and universities similar to the SAT and ACT tests, challenges students with literary and mathematical content. Students will be able to pull from both theistic and secular perspectives while taking this exam that provides the “most accurate and rigorous measure of academic formation, accomplishment, and potential.” Students take this two-hour exam at a local testing center and are able to see their test results the same day. Results may be sent directly to any of the colleges listed on our site. HLA will offer the CLT exam in Jackson TN. Read More.
ACT/SAT/Military Test Prep. Options
Is the ACT required to receive a diploma from HLA?
- No. HLA does not require an ACT/SAT/CLT test score to receive a diploma from HLA.Note: HLA does reserve the right to request ACT/SAT/CLT scores at its discretion based on the best interest of the student and/or the student’s eligibility for enrollment.
Annual Standardized Testing Requirements for High School Students
- HLA does not require state standardized testing for grades Kindergarten-12th.
- Families living in TN, FL, AL, and CO who are registered with HLA, will not be required to test.
- Families living in other states will need to check the laws in their state. If you are unsure of the laws in your state please visit the Homeschooling in Your State page and refer to HSLDA for further clarification.
- If you would like to have your child tested, you will need to contact a local support group for information about any testing that may be offered in your area.