Filling out the FAFSA
When filling out the FAFSA – you must select “Homeschooled” for the following question. And skip “What is the name of your high school?”
Check the FAFSA website for important deadlines.
- When completing the FAFSA application:
- To avoid confusion on the FAFSA when confirming school status, select Home Schooled.
- Even though HLA is a recognized non-public/private school and your student will have earned a high school diploma, HLA is not on the federal list.
- Selecting High School diploma or listing HLA as your school could cause unnecessary delays.
- When to apply:
- Seniors should apply as early as possible.
- Registration opens on October 1.
- The sooner you apply the better. It doesn’t matter if your student will actually qualify for financial aid or not, you still have to apply online.
- Many scholarships require the FAFSA to be submitted.
- You do not have to wait until you have filed taxes for the current year, as you will use last year’s tax information. This gets your student in the system early for grants and scholarships that they may qualify for.