- Gather all the information for your Education Plan.
- Gather the former school’s contact information for ALL your students.
- Complete the online application – Only 1 application is needed per family.
- Make a payment – online, over the phone, or mail a check. NOTE: HLA will not process your application without payment. Checks are accepted, but will delay the application process.
- HLA will contact you via email with enrollment information (Confirmation of Enrollment, Teacher Verifications, etc.). Be sure to save your login information for your myHLA account.
- ONCE YOU RECEIVE THIS INFORMATION, YOU MAY WITHDRAW YOUR STUDENT(S) FROM THE PREVIOUS SCHOOL.
- Once your enrollment has been verified, HLA will request the student(s) records from the school.
- Begin teaching your student(s) at home!
The education plan can be any of the following (or a combination of):
- List of resources or textbooks used (title and publisher).
- Description of the course (if parent designed courses).
- Description of the course if you use life as you classroom.
- Ex. In-depth research using online resources, library, and weekly reports. List any specific resources that may be used.
- Name of the tutorial, co-op, or college where the class will be taken (no abbreviations please).
- The following resources will not be approved without further details – “online”, “course titles – ex. English”, “hands-on”, “various”, the use of symbols (*), and etc.
- Do NOT list the books your student is currently using in the public school. Please list the books your student will be using upon leaving the public school.
Once your enrollment is approved and we have the necessary previous school information, we will send an official Records Request to the previous school via the information you provide to us on the enrollment application. This document does two things;
- It alerts the previous school that you have enrolled in our school and subsequently withdrawn from that school.
- It asks them to release to us all your student(s) records. Once we receive the records, we will notify you via email.
For high school students – We will post all previous high school credits into Applecore (grade reporting system) once they are received in our office.
However, HLA now offers an option for those students who find themselves in situations such as those listed above. Call our office for more information about our HLA-NEST Program.
Note: We recommend high school students complete the semester before transferring to HLA.
Note: HLA may require ACT or SAT scores for some students before being issued a diploma from HLA. For additional information about ACT/SAT testing, please visit College Entrance Exams.
Accreditation requires that a school must use a standard curriculum and due to the nature of our program and the fact that we desire to give parents choices and not dictate which curriculum they must use, Category IV schools are generally not accredited. You cannot gain accreditation without dictating curriculum. Parents lose the right to choose what they teach their children. HLA is constantly looking at options for accreditation that does not sacrifice our freedom and flexibility.
Our transcripts are readily accepted at colleges, universities, military academies, and recruitment offices all over the country and in most cases, colleges are not looking for accreditation. Should you have further questions, please do not hesitate to call to discuss this topic.
In order to complete your enrollment for each school year, you must complete the following requirements.
- Final grades and attendance for the Fall and Spring semesters of the previous school year must be reported.
- Education plan for each registered student for the upcoming school year must be submitted.
- Grade levels for the upcoming school year for each registered student must be updated.
- Family contact information must be current.
All of these must be completed by August 1.
Note: You will not receive your Confirmation of Enrollment and your account will not be Active until the above items are completed.
Fees increase after August 1. Failure to complete these prior to August 1 of each year will result in increased fees for not completing enrollment requirements by the reporting/registration deadline. You will be responsible for any additional registration fees based on the fee schedule in place at the time you meet these requirements.
Failure to complete all of these requirements prior to September 1 of each year will result in the cancellation of your registration and immediate withdrawal from HLA. If you have been withdrawn for failure to meet these requirements but still need to be enrolled with HLA, please contact our office to be reinstated. There will be a $50 reinstatement fee required.