Graduation requirements for International students* living abroad.

*These graduation requirements apply ONLY to non-US citizens living outside the United States.  US ex-patriots, US military, US missionaries, and any other US citizens living internationally must still adhere to one of our other graduation paths.

Foreign nationals attending HLA have the flexibility to continue their education in accordance with the customs of the country of residence. Students already fluent in English can study traditional high school English Literature courses with composition. Students who need English as a Second Language can study this to complete the English credit requirements.

Foreign national students are not required to take US History. Students may study the history of the country of residence as one of the Social Studies credits instead of taking US History.

If your country integrates Algebra with Geometry and Trigonometry, you may title those courses Integrated Math I II III and IV. Other math courses may be taken as needed.

You may do the same with Science if needed by combining the disciplines into one integrated course or you can list the subjects separately and give .5 credit per course each year.

Here are some examples of Science titles: Integrated Chemistry and Physics (1 credit); Advanced Integrated Chemistry-Physics (1 credit); Integrated Bio-Chem-Phys. I II III (1 credit each); Biology (.5 credit); Chemistry (.5 credit). 

Electives can be satisfied with any course that your student is interested in. Additional areas of study beyond those already required can also be used as electives. Literary study for your specific country will be considered an elective.

1 credit = A full year of study or (150 hours).

.5 credit = A semester of study or (75 hours).

download   download (4)

Refer to the Course Guide & Electives for a list of other courses that may be considered.

International Path Chart